Monday, December 22, 2008

christmasy cranberry brownies

What better way to celebrate the birthday of someone born 2,008 years ago than with cranberry brownies? I'm sure he approves. (I even served them on a "Happy Birthday!" plate that was a present to my son from his godmother--thanks, Holly!)

We were headed to a Christmas lunch and I needed something quick and easy to make. Brownies fit the bill, and the sour-fruit wheels in my brain started turning, too. I'd never heard of anyone pairing these up, but it sure sounded good to me.

I just made up a batch of fudge brownies from my 10th-edition Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, added 1/2 c. chopped dried sweetened cranberries (from Costco) and 1/2 c. chopped pecans (from a valuable freezer stash from America--my precious!), and because the chocolate (Meiji Black, of course) and cranberries were already sweet enough, I cut the sugar down from 1 c. to 1/4 c.

As I anticipated, they were completely more-ish. And I won't just be eating them at Christmas.

Let it snow! (Even if it's just with powdered sugar.)

(I have made this fudge brownie recipe before, but for some reason this time it seemed drier than usual. It wasn't bad, but if you've got a recipe for really really moist brownies that you adore, do let me know.)

---------------------------------------------------

***By the way, stay tuned to Mamatouille FM for a special, one-of-a-kind Christmas cheesecake, coming up this week!***

(At least I think it's original, but even if somebody out there in this big ol' world has done it at some point already, I still think this is going to be pretty delectable.)

9 comments:

Peter M said...

These look good, fine addition to the table of Christmas treats.

Reeni said...

I love cranberries! I never thought to put them in brownies, YUM! That makes them healthy, right?

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Peter M, thanks! Yes, I think I'll probably make them again.

Reeni, it was definitely the health factor that made these so delicious! :)

Diana said...

Oooh, I think I might try that with fresh cranberries, I have some to use up. It sounds really good.

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Diana, I bet you fresh cranberries would be even BETTER than dried. I don't have access to fresh ones over here in Japan, so let me know how it goes! Fresh ones would add some needed moisture, I think. Yum yum yum.

Kim said...

They look so so yummy! I can't wait to try them! I read on another blog that the amount of sugar affects moistness. Have you ever heard of that? Living in Japan I usually cut the sugar back too, but I wonder if that made the difference in the brownies. Or the humidity - lack of, or the tiny oven, or the kind of flour, or or or!!! HAHAHAAH!!

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Kim, it has been really dry around here lately, maybe that's why, or the sugar content was too low. Maybe I'll try adding more next time.

Anonymous said...

Dear Abigail!
Greetings!
Robert-Gilles from Shizuoka!
You certainly like your cakes (and turkey!)
I still don't know where you live in Jpana! LOL
Cheers,
Robert-Gilles

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Hello Robert-Gilles! I'm in Nishinomiya but I don't know where you are! :) Yes, I'm in a big baking mood lately. I don't usually have much excuse to bake so I'm using Christmas as my reason lately. I'm sure I'll get back to savory meals on my blog soon. I'm still cooking regular meals for my family, just not really blogging about them right now! Happy Christmas!